After several attempts to repair the leaking washer in my bathroom sink, and a long search to find a replacement set of taps, I decided to rip out the (probably original 1950's) sink  and put in a modern one. (July 23, 2004)
Luckily, the sink was plumbed using angle taps [0040-0041], so I could replace the sink without even turning off the water main.
The sink was held in with a horribly corroded iron wall mount , along with a number of ancient hairpins . Ripping these out was completely straightforward , and I patched the old screwholes with vinyl patching compound .
A new sink ships as bare porcelain , and you have to mount up the taps and drain yourself . This is quite straightforward, the hardest part being getting the sink stopper (a horrible Rube Goldberg mechanism) assembled and calibrated.
With the new mount screwed to the wall , it was a simple matter to drop the new sink onto the mount . Here's where I screwed up: the old rigid pipe connecting the angle taps to the sink leaked, and rather than just replace it, I unmounted, tightened, and remounted the sink about three times in a vain attempt to stop the leak. I finally broke down and bought a new flexible pipe, which dropped in very easily (luckily I'd bought the right size!) and didn't leak at all.